Thursday, May 13, 2010

Any good home remedies or advice for a 8 1/2 month old infant with a bad cold....?

My daughter has a very runny nose, cough and a slight fever and isn't eating much...any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to make her as comfortable as possible and get her over this. I would take her to her pediatrician but I am out of the state due to a family emergency. Thank you for the help!!!!Any good home remedies or advice for a 8 1/2 month old infant with a bad cold....?
If she has a high temperature (over 100), if her symptoms get worse in the next day, if she's screaming all night (could be an ear infection caused by excess fluid) - take her to the doctor/urgent care or at the VERY least, call your pediatrician.





If its just a regular old cold there are only a couple things you can do...





%26gt;Saline nose drops: (same as saline solution for contacts) Squeeze up her nose, then get an aspirator to suck the boogars out. She'll HATE it. Every baby does.





%26gt;Humidifier: get a humidifier for the room. We use a basic Vicks humidifier (don't use any menthol or medicated drops in the water). Put a little salt in the water to increase the steam flow.





%26gt;Prop up the mattress: You can put a pillow under one end of the crib mattress to lift it just a bit so its elevated.





%26gt;Steam room: Turn the hot water on in the shower and stand in the bathroom. The steam may help clear her throat.





%26gt;Increase fluids: If she's not eating, she may want to nurse or bottle feed more.





%26gt;LOTS of LOVE: it'll make her feel better, it always does!





Hope that helps. THey say the first baby cold is always the worst. My son had a bad cold when he was about 4 months old - it was awful but now I know what to do!Any good home remedies or advice for a 8 1/2 month old infant with a bad cold....?
I heard a couple of months ago that if you rub Vick's on the bottom of their feet the cough isn't as bad. I have never tried it but it is worth a try when you are desperate for a remedy! Good luck %26amp; I hope your baby feels better soon!
Saline spray works if she has a little stuffy nose as well with the runny nose. Saline spray you can use as much as needed





You can also take make your own with one cup of the warm water and 1/4 tsp of salt mix together and take a nose bulb or another small dropper and give her only a few drops of this a couple times per day.......





Infants tylenol or motrin is also great when they are running a fever....now if the fever gets over 101 I would call your doc still and tell them the situation..They can always help you no matter where you are. I would probably give them a call tomorrow anyway...would call them now if she has a higher temp then 102





A humidifier works wonders as well...can pick this up anywhere...When she sleeps at night make sure you have her propped up as it helps everything to drain and makes breathing easier for them.
Plug in the vaporizer (cold air). Use saline drops for the nose and keep it cleaned out. There's no medication in these drops so you don't have to worry about side effects. Give her infant tylenol for fever. My son has had a cold a I've done this with him. He's getting better and I don't have all the side effects that cold medicine can give. Also, there is vicks baby rub. Rub it on her chest and it'll help her breath as well.
yes do everything Jenn above said she was 100% on what I would say. My 3 month old is sick as well. Do not get a cold air humidifier that is just for people with allergies warm is for colds and such (the Pharmacist just told me this when I asked the diff the other day) But I will tell you I bought the vicks bc it was a cheap one and it hardly works, you get what you pay for and I read really bad reviews on it from everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment