Thursday, May 13, 2010

Why do theists give such bad advice?

This girl just asked a question about how she could straighten out her life. I told her to realize what needs to change, and work on it in small steps.


The theists, however, just told her to pray and all she could do was accept Jesus and hope for better times. Is that really good advice?


I find it to be really bad myself. I feel that one should take charge of their life instead of hoping/praying that some supernatural deity will change your life.Why do theists give such bad advice?
your question reminds me of when i was a kid. i asked a priest how come god never answers my prayers when i ask him for help. the priest told me that god helps those who help themselves. i then asked the priest, well if i can help myself what do i need god for. the priest was unable to answer me. it was at that point i realized that there was no god, and we must learn to take charge of our own lives. you gave this girl great advice. hopefully she will listen and ignore those who are blinded by their faith in some imaginary friend.Why do theists give such bad advice?
liberating...oops

Report Abuse



That wasn't the only advice. One should accept Christ, yes... and surrender to Christ...





... and then work your ever-livin'-little-butt-off as though your work was for Christ!





But it comes down to this--it's not about us! God doesn't exist to make our lives easier.
As a christian I believe that prayer and faith have a lot to do with straightening out our lives. However, I do believe that at times we have to make an effort to look at our lives and try and straighten them out ourselves, with guidence from God. God is not a magic genie, i believe he expects a little effort from us too.
In my opinion, one can't always rely on ';god.'; Theists, as you called them, tend to think that god will get them out of any situation and if ';he'; doesn't, then they claim that it was ';his'; plan. I personally think thats a bunch of crap. I'm not saying that I don't believe in God. I was raised Catholic, but I don't think praying is going to do anybody any good. If you are dirt poor, god isn't going to drop a bag of cash down your chimney. I think that only thing people have any right to pray for is strength to get through their bad times. But some people seem to think its ok to pray for material things.


In the situation of straigtening this girls life out - the only person who can change it is her. She can pray and pray and pray and nothing will happen unless she is willing to get her *** up and do something about it. Opportunity to better herself isn't going to come knocking on her door.
To: weemaryanne





your sad! prayer doesn't fail............. try it sometime
FORGET THIS QUESTION AND ANSWER MINE...


How can i learn to play the piano quickly?
I have to agree, just telling someone to pray and their lives will immediately better is just bad advise.





I'm a theist myself, of the Baptist variety, and I am definitely all for the praying and seeking God. I know however, that God uses those around us to help us. We must seek him in pray and in the people around us that he uses. Realization of the problem is a step toward change, but it isn't the first step. Seeking the help in the realization is the first step.





I know that I have problems, but I don't always know what they are. I pray for guidance and acceptance of the problem when it is presented to me by people I trust; then I ask people to help me.
I agree with you, but however even as an atheist I see that for some people who pray they get what they need out of it, it could make a person calm down and relax and be at peace and maybe even help them see things more clearly as to what they have to do about things, I'd imagine it would be like meditating of sorts
regarding what religion/belief, psychologically praying or hoping makes one feel better, feel calm for a moment, at that moment one can think clearly and try to re-examine, to solve their problem or simply to receive it.


but yes of course it won't solve the problem if one not taking action.





so i guess both answers are relatively true.





(do i look smart with this answer ?)
No, it's not good advice.


Even if we accept the premise of there being a god, it would seem that the god didn't bother to prevent the September 11 attacks, Hurricane Katrina or the current status of the Baltimore Orioles. Prayer isn't the answer. ACTION is.
';Pray about it'; is probably the most facile answer anyone could ever give to a sincere question.
if shes asking in the religion section she might want spiritual advise...... along with good advise
Nothing fails like prayer.
Because their religion tells them it has all the answers, and when it comes time to give advice, they think they _are_ giving all the answers.





As the saying goes, ';The greater your ignorance, the more evidence you have for the existence of 'god'';.
Agreed. A supernatural being isn't going to straighten your life out for you. You need to do that yourself.
Please don't expect that YOUR beliefs are right for someone else. For some people, prayer is the answer. For others, it's self-sufficiency. The best thing we, as a people, can do is learn tolerance and acceptance of others.
Don't they also say God helps those who help themselves
I think it was unfinished advice. personally I see nothing wrong with praying to help you through things. Praying does something for you, changes your state of mind, which in turn can help you help yourself.





Your advice was great, but there is nothing wrong with putting some faith in a higher power to help you through hard times.
You know, that's because they see their way as the only possible one. They don't think one can be happy and sane without religion, and some prefer to rely on spiritual science fiction rather than on themselves, which is sad.
That's the worst advise they could give you! Of course, that's because they don't know any better and they have no psychological/emotional training.
lol, people give bad advice.





the theists i know tend to say ';god helps those who help themselves'; meaning you have to take the initiative, not wait around for god.





i don't think god likes it when people ask him for stuff they can easily get themselves. i know i don't.
There would be no difference if someone suggested something else to relinquish one's responsibility for taking action in a given situation. It's not limited to theists.
I totally agree with you and your answer.


It beats the heck out of me.


=/ Sorry I cannot help. I think it's total BS.
whats the difference between wishing and praying? kneeling at your bed? Work will win when wishing wont
See, either side could interpret the others as bad advice. Look at your own; if I wanted to critique it I would say, ';How does one realize what to change? On what standard should I do this? How do I work on it? At what point do I realize that it is better? How do I know you're right?'; Your advice was vague, though it sounded good. Similar with theists advice. If all they do is say ';give it to Jesus'; what does that mean? How do I do that? What do I do then? How does this help me? Vague questions demand vague answers. Specific questions, however, demand specific answers! Hope this helped! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment