Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What was the worst advice you've seen someone give in ';dogs';?

A question I just answered had me thinking and I would like to know what was the worst advice you have read?





Mine would be the one I just saw or a fellow technician telling someone how to self treat parvo-(I could just slap that woman)What was the worst advice you've seen someone give in ';dogs';?
I'm from Cats but we get the same crap there too. I hate when the 12 year old ';vets'; come on giving advice on everything from giving Tylenol for vomiting to how to set a broken bone at home.





Probably the worst advice I ever saw was this:


Q: My cat is in heat. What can I do to shut her up?


A: Stimulate her vagina with a Q-Tip for now and get a boy cat to mate her ASAP.


AND


Q: How do I keep my cat's water from freezing when it gets cold?


A: Put a tsp. of antifreeze into the water.


The poor asker was actually about to follow his advice.





So dangerous....makes me want to scream sometimes.What was the worst advice you've seen someone give in ';dogs';?
The wost are the breeding and whelping answers.





The very worst I've seen here was a supposed Vet Tech telling someone to just pull a breech positioned pup out. That was it! I was horrified! There is a very specific way to do this and if it doesn't work then you best be on your way to your vet!





Also the one where a girl had a female in whelp had one pup 3 hours before but could only see 1 leg of the next pup and it's been 2 hours and the pups hasn't come out yet! People were telling her to just wait it will come out on it's own. Yup that one curled my hair right up!
The worst ever but I have thankfully seen less offf





Q: My dog is in labor what do I do?





A: Put her someplace dark and quiet and leave her alone - Hell and no. You NEVER leave a dog in labor alone and you obviously need the lights on to see whats going on..





Another time there were people telling some jerk off BYB that it was FINE for him to lock his two bulldogs in a room or shed together because his female was constantly running from the male.





And my personal fave - anyone who gives out dosages for benadryl and other meds for dogs; I am sorry but you need to talk to a vet FIRST. I don't care what worked for another dog or what someone else's vet said. Of course a smart person wouldn't be on HERE asking that here.
I'd help you slap that person!! :oP





Can't get over two posts I read.................





1. ';Don't listen to anyone here, it's okay to breed your dog if you want, so go ahead.';





2. ';Help, my ';dog'; (?) is having puppies, what do I do??';





UGH UGH!!!! Those were in the tops of ';worst';. :o/
Question: Will my dog get sick after eating 2 lbs of dark chocolate?


Answer: Of course not! I feed it to my dog all the time!





or





Question: How to get my dog to stop peeing on the floor?


Answer: Rub his nose in it and slap him.





WORST ANSWERS I'VE EVER SEEN





And there are plenty more having to do with buying dogs from petstores, buying goldendoodles and such...etc.
Treating a dog with ';baby medicine'; - if it was for dogs as well, it would be in the Petcare section too....





Advising someone how to get their dogs to ';bread'; - ';just pick the male up and hold him to her';





Anybody asking where to get a labradoole/maltipoo/shnauolliedoodle - being given an actual website ie. ';petsrus.com';





Too many to think off but thats the basis of them!
That a person who wanted a large breed dog at least 100lbs with short hair. The answerer said ';A Maltese would be perfect for you!!'; Rolling eyes...





OR





Q: Is it O.K. to give my dogs junk food like pizza?


A: Sure I give it to my dogs all the time and they are really happy and healthy.


Then two minutes later the same person who said sure go ahead asked, my dogs throw up all the time, have really bad gas, and have bad dander should I take it to the vet?


COME ON!
Off the top of my head, my favourite bad advice is the one about treating mange by applying used motor oil to the dog. Hello. How many times do we see news stories about cleaning oil off birds so it won't kill them? I know, it's because of hypothermia, partly, but if oil works so well on mange, why don't we see vets using it?
First that comes to mind is my all-time pet peeve.





A little chocolate won't hurt your dog. ( that in its various forms, such as..it has to be bakers chocolate, or my dog eats it all the time..etc)


Its a personal issue for me, as my beloved pug died from eating just a few M%26amp;Ms.





Then, just this week, FOUR people advised 'smacking him on the nose'..for a training problem.


That was on just one question!


Daily, I see, ';Just rub his nose in it';...Geesh!


Ignorance gone to seed..





Added:


I just read Forever Talinka's answer. ..we have the same gripes..lol
I read a question once where the person was asking what to do about their puppy biting them. They got several responses back saying to bite the puppy back. Some people may not think that is cruel but I sure do!





Added: Thanks for the thumbs down moron...you must be one of those people that bite their dog.
when someone tells the person asking a question like ';what kind of dog should i get?'; to get a purebred because they are better dogs.





that burns me up because i own ';mutts'; and they are the greatest dogs i've ever owned.
I saw a question a couple months ago:





Q? If I gave my dog beer would he get drunk and stupid?





I did not answer this question, it was just too stupid to even waste my time with, people - OMG there are some really dumb donkeys in this world...
I have heard and seen to much in my life. Too many to write.





**I just wanted to say Bless your son in the military and hope he comes home soon!.





I bet your a Proud Mom!





God Bless
Question: What dog food do you recommend?





Answer: Ol' Roy, my dogs love it, it is the only thing they will eat!


(More like only thing you can AFFORD!)





Ugh...
well I haven't personally been given bad advice but I saw that one person said that Pit Bulls were Really mean... some can be mean if raised around wrong people but the whole breed shouldn't be blamed for some bad examples.....
I think it's the worst when people offer any advice to someone who is clearly a BYB that has no business breeding any dog anywhere. That just makes me crazy.
Give a dog peroxide since it ate some Charcoal! Lets make the dog worse.





Another was ppl should have mice health tested b/f you breed them.





And these are just from today....i have many more!
That mutts will be healthier than purebreds.





Oh theres worse, I'm sure, just not coming to mind. And this is the kind of comment I see so often
yesterday...





do you ever get your dog high?





it wouldnt be good for him..... but if you blow it in his ear...





people amaze me sometimes.
Alpha roll your aggressive dog
that it's ok to give a dog tylenol.

No comments:

Post a Comment