Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I have really bad stage fright. Any advice to help me out?

Whenever I present a project or something, my voice starts to get shaky and I can feel my heart beat faster. ): Can anyone help me out? Thanks (:I have really bad stage fright. Any advice to help me out?
I feel you on this. I used to do debate and forensics and I was a wreck at the begining. My whole body would shake and I'd barely be able to spit out a single sentence. But let me tell you, you can overcome this. It won't be overnight, it took me a good four years to ever feel comfortable in front of a crowd and even now I'm still jumpy sometimes. So here's the best advice I can give you. Focus on one thing. Choose what you want to convey and only think of it. Don't let your mind wonder. The moment you start thinking of how others see you, the moment you won't be able to say another word. You are the expert on what you're saying. Own it. It's just you and that topic. Screw the audience. They don't matter. Change the game. Make it all about you.


Write out your motivation. So when you go up there take a deep breath and recite what you want to accomplish. And do it. Keep focused. Leave the audience alone, they will only distract you. If you were shooting a free throw during a basketball game, you wouldn't acknowledge the crowd. The only thing that matters is that basket. The second you let the crowd into your mind, you'll miss every time.


Also, if you ever notice your mind wandering, take a deep breath, focus your eyes at a point just above the audience and refocus your energy towards your words. It'll be hard at first, but it will get easier. Just remember to breathe and focus. That's the key. Plain and simple.I have really bad stage fright. Any advice to help me out?
I know what you mean- I get the same way. Instead of darting your eyes frantically around the room, stop at a spot and just concentrate on it. Like that tree outside the window. Or a marker on the back table. Pretend you're saying this to the marker, or tree. I know it sounds stupid, but it helps. Also, practice your part until you know it by heart. Gain confidence in yourself by reciting your lines in front of a mirror.Try different ways of saying the same lines or try moving your hands as you speak. Forget about the audience. Make believe that you are in front of the mirror or your family. Also, I've noticed that keeping a bottle of water helps too. You鈥檒l feel nervous when you first start out, but it will get easier as you get used to performing in front of crowds. =]
I know how you feel! I have blown countles auditoins (im an actress in local things.) due to stage fright! You need to get used to speaking in front of people. This is especialy helpful for school projects. Ask your parents, brother or sister, (older or younger) or friend to help you reherse. Ask them to be cridical. Dont take it as harsh words, but as ways to make you better. (ya, i know that was cheesy, but true!)





Good luck!


Mallory
I think it helps to remind yourself you care more about what you're saying than the fact you are saying it. Keep the message in focus. How you yourself come across should come in a distant second
Try taking a speech class. They are great and they go over all kinds of techniques. Taking a deep breath first, looking at something in the back of the room, picture everyone in thier underware, practice in front of your family first, then there are always tell-tale signs if something, try to avoid figiting. Check out this website too...





http://www.speakingandspeeches.com/do-wh鈥?/a>











Good luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment